Monday, October 6, 2014

MURANO

Had a fun weekend hopping from one antique flea market to another.  Scored an exquisite Regency style sideboard and some vintage decorative beauties. One of the decorative objects was a beautiful vase.  The gentleman that sold it to me told me it was Murano. Hmmm... Murano...really? I was skeptical, based on the price I had paid for it, but excited at the same time.  After I left the flea market, I immediately went to my car to do some research.  Had I really bought a vintage Murano vase?  



Circa 1920 Regency Style Sideboard

This is a Murano Red Tulip Vase I found on 1stdibs with similar qualities


Although beautiful, my flea market find does not compare


The history of Murano glass is interesting in the fact that it is the longest lasting center for glass making in history.  It spans from the 9th century to today, and is full of beautiful and innovative artwork, success, failure and thankfully, a remarkable resiliency in the face of adversity.  Because Murano does have such a long history, one can easily see the reflection of important events, including the Renaissance and Napoleon's conquest of Europe, and how they affected a small island of glassmakers in the Adriatic Sea.  Murano is a small island North West of the city of Venice, Italy - not much larger than a few square miles.

It is believed the origins of Murano dates back to 9th century Rome, with significant Asian and Muslim influences, as Venice was a major trading port. Multihued perle (beads) were used in trading with Asian, African and Muslim neighbors.

Murano's glassmakers led Europe for centuries, developing or refining many technologies including crystalline glass, enamelled glass (smalto), glass with threads of gold (aventurine), multicolored glass (millefiori), milk glass (lattimo), and imitation gemstones made of glass.  Today, the artisans of Murano are still employing these centuries-old techniques, crafting everything from contemporary art glass to glass figurines to Murano glass chandeliers and wine stoppers, as well as tourist souvenirs.





















I may or may not have found a vintage Murano vase, but I would love to own a vintage Murano chandelier...on the lookout!

No comments:

Post a Comment